Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7K vPC LACP vs Regular Port Channel in a VDC Design

mohankumarm
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to like to understand how many vPC port channels ( including Port channels for the vPC links) is supported in Nexus 7010 equipped with M1-132-XL (32 X10GE) module.

From the Cisco documentation, the following information was obtained:

"With the Mseries modules and LACP, vPC peer link supports 16 LACP port channel interfaces - 8 active and 8 standby links. You can configure 16 LACP links on the downstream vPC channel - 8 active and 8 standby. If the port channel is without using LACP, you can have only 8 links in each channel."

My questions are as follows:

1. In our current design we have a couple of VDCs in their own domain, peer links etc sharing the same M1 module. We have about  nine uplinks from the access swithces in each VDC domain terminating on the same M1 module, but to different interfaces allocated for the respective VDC's. this is 18 links all up plus with the peer links in each domain will be 20.

According to the above,

1. How many LACP port channels can be configured up for the access swithces ref to the same M1 module?

2. How many Non LACP port channels can be configured ref to the same M1 module?

3. If the vPC port channels cannot be configured, do i have to fallback to traditional 802.1q from the Nexus to the access switches.

Thanks and Regards,

Mohan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

"With the Mseries modules and LACP, vPC peer link supports 16 LACP port channel interfaces - 8 active and 8 standby links. You can configure 16 LACP links on the downstream vPC channel - 8 active and 8 standby. If the port channel is without using LACP, you can have only 8 links in each channel."

Just want to clarify the statement above - it is not talking about 16 LACP total in the Nexus 7000. Instead, it is talking about each LACP PO can have maximum of 16 links, 8 active and 8 standby.

For question 1 and 2:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/verified_scalability/b_Cisco_Nexus_7000_Series_NX-OS_Verified_Scalability_Guide.html#reference_32EB4DB289634F6FA8885FDFD8E71F5F

For question 3, I am not sure what you are asking? vPC and 802.1Q are 2 different technologies.

HTH,

jerry

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just want to clarify the statement above - it is not talking about 16 LACP total in the Nexus 7000. Instead, it is talking about each LACP PO can have maximum of 16 links, 8 active and 8 standby.

For question 1 and 2:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/verified_scalability/b_Cisco_Nexus_7000_Series_NX-OS_Verified_Scalability_Guide.html#reference_32EB4DB289634F6FA8885FDFD8E71F5F

For question 3, I am not sure what you are asking? vPC and 802.1Q are 2 different technologies.

HTH,

jerry

Hi Jerry,

Thanks very much for clearing this up..Actually in our design , we have Layer 2 port channels from individual  access (3750-x) swithces going to two devices N7K core, and we have about 11 vPC per VDC (including the peer links), so it was not very clear whether the limit was for total LACP or each LACP..

Cheers:)

Best Regards,

Mohan

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card