cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 9236c - need factory reset assistance

Corri S
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have a dozen of these switches to factory reset. They are security locked and have previous customer configs, vlans, ports configured etc. How can I reset these switches so they are completely bare, just like day one out of the box? 

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Not sure if there is a reset button, but if you have access to the switches, you may want to issue "write erase" and then reboot.

HTH

Hello, 

I have done this, then saved with copy run start, reloaded - for some reason there is vlan data that remains after reboot. I think it's the vlan recovery feature but unsure. I also tried secure erase and factory-reset all but the commands were not recognized. Tried both privileged exec and conf t. At the moment permanently removing the vlan data is I am stuck on. Thanks 

Corri S
Level 1
Level 1

Unsure if this is relevant but when you load the nxos from loader prompt, it shows that it's security locked. 

Hi,

Does the OS you are running support this command? 

factory-reset all

I don't believe so, Reza; I did end up clearing the drive with 

switch(boot)# clear nvram
switch(boot)# init system

Ended up wiping everything, even NXOS so I'm calling this progress (lol) Next step is to reload and confirm. 

Thank you for your helpful input. 

I learned that the two previous commands, although solving a problem it made a new one; there was no longer an nxos. I knew this because the PuTTY session would only show loader > and only 'lost+found' was rendering from 'dir' command; no .bin to be found.

I added nxos...bin to a thumb drive, connected it to usb port on back of switch, booted from the drive with

loader>boot usb1:nxos.<#>.bin after the set up process I was able to copy the nxos from usb to bootflash

switch# copy usb1:nxos.9.<#>.bin bootflash:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card