Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 9K Layer 2 <--> Layer 3 Clarification Please

Cormac Champion
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

Is the "feature interface-vlans" essentially the switcher between enabling Layer 3 or not ?  If you do not enable it, can you still have an ip address on a single vlan interface like you would on a catalyst L2 switch ?  I'm using the MGMT0 interface for the Peer-Keepalive.  I have an IP Address on a Vlan for management, which is NOT Vlan 1.

I'm just wondering if I have inadvertently enabled the switch as Layer 3 when I really only want it as Layer 2

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

"feature interface-vlans" enables you to create SVIs (layer-3 interfaces for vlans and route between them. Without it, the switch is layer-2 only and you can't create SVIs with IPs. So, if you don't want to use mgmt0 for management, you can use a different vlan but need to enable "feature interface-vlans" first which is fine.

HTH

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

"feature interface-vlans" enables you to create SVIs (layer-3 interfaces for vlans and route between them. Without it, the switch is layer-2 only and you can't create SVIs with IPs. So, if you don't want to use mgmt0 for management, you can use a different vlan but need to enable "feature interface-vlans" first which is fine.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card