cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus admin user - can't login to the CLI

paulcahill
Level 1
Level 1

I was copying an pasting some configs between two nexus devices and some how fat-fingered something and the admin user can no longer login to the command line.  I can still login as the root user and run an "su admin" and login to the device that way.  Need to get it fixed.  On the switch that works:

username admin password 5 $5$vmOXlxBj$FbuM28SGUyj/E2H1BS.KIr.pMJU5f0MGrDTEPezIfO
6 role network-admin

On the switch that doesn't work:

username admin password 5 $5$vmOXlxBj$FbuM28SGUyj/E2H1BS.KIr.pMJU5f0MGrDTEPezIfO
role network-admin

So how do I fix that? Is that what broke the account?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

Sounds like you could have possibly overwrote the username admin account password somehow which can easily be done when you past config

Anyhow Logon with the su-admin account.

conf t

username admin role network-admin password xxxxxx

copy running-config startup-config

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As I understand your post the difference between the switches is the number 6 appears in the working switch and not in the problematic switch. I am not sure what that number would represent. So I am not sure if it is really the problem. If you are able to login to the problematic switch can you then just copy/paste the line with the 6 into the problematic switch and see if it fixes the issue?

My guess is that it will not fix the issue. In that case I am guessing that something else is the problem. As a start in investigating this possibility could you post the output of show run | include aaa

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello

Sounds like you could have possibly overwrote the username admin account password somehow which can easily be done when you past config

Anyhow Logon with the su-admin account.

conf t

username admin role network-admin password xxxxxx

copy running-config startup-config

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

So the line was line-wrapping at the 80th column even though my columns were set to much wider than that. the copy and paste did not pick up on that and sent it as a separate line, chopping off the last character in the password hash, breaking the password.  I didn't notice that on the other switch because, for some reason, that window had more columns! 

I need to get more sleep.

Thanks for all the replies.

Hello,

have you tried to do a network-admin password recovery ?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/password_recovery/b_nx_os_pwr/nx_os_pw.html

as the "user ...... role....." command is a one-line command 

username user-id [password [0 | 5]password] [expire date] [role role-name]

My guess is the "6" is either seen as part of the encrypted password, or seen as the account is (has been) valid for 6 days.

so copy the good line and paste it in the other switch

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card