cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus Lab: 5010 versus 5020, B22Dell Nexus Blade, Limitations?

will
Level 3
Level 3

hi, I'm attempting to put together a Nexus Lab to test a nexus core (5k/9k) with an M1000e dell chassis (populated with B22Dell FEX Nexus Module).

I am thinking of procuring a cheaper 5010/5020 switch for the lab. I see this has current firmware that supports the FEX modules). Imight also connect up some 2k FEX switches to this lab core. But I have a few questions related to this:

1. will the 5010/5020 have any limitations not seen in the 55XX models or the 9K models?

2. Do I have to worry about any sort of licensing on the 5010/5020 lab unit?

3. any limitations/problems/issues with the 2k FEX units?

4. Any other gotcha's or limitations; or why this might be a bad or good idea?

The ultimate goal is to start playing around and develop some configs that will easily port to either a newer 5k or 9k model nexus.

thx in advance!

W

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If you are going to built a new environment, it is probably a good idea to test with products that are not end-of-life yet. The 5000 series has been end-of-life since 2012 (see link below). Cisco products differ from model to model, and so without knowing what feature sets you are going to be using, it is hard to tel what product is suitable. As for license, you always have to worry about license depending on the feature sets you want to use. There are too many different type of FEX models.  Once you decide what parent product you are going to use, you than need to make sure the FEX you want to use is supported by that parent switch.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/nexus-5000-series-switches/eos-eol-notice-listing.html

HTH

View solution in original post

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

I'd agree with Reza that it's probably not a good idea, or investment, to use End of Sale kit.

A couple of specific points that immediately spring to mind:

• The Nexus 50XX doesn't support Enhanced vPC which might restrict the available topolgies with FEX (see Using Enhanced vPC)
  • The Nexus 50XX won't run NX-OS releases beyond 5.2 so will become dated pretty quickly and means you probably won't be able to keep your lab and production NX-OS releases in sync.

Agree about the license also. You always get the 90-day evaluation period, but that's not as long as it seems.

Regards

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If you are going to built a new environment, it is probably a good idea to test with products that are not end-of-life yet. The 5000 series has been end-of-life since 2012 (see link below). Cisco products differ from model to model, and so without knowing what feature sets you are going to be using, it is hard to tel what product is suitable. As for license, you always have to worry about license depending on the feature sets you want to use. There are too many different type of FEX models.  Once you decide what parent product you are going to use, you than need to make sure the FEX you want to use is supported by that parent switch.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/nexus-5000-series-switches/eos-eol-notice-listing.html

HTH

thx both reza and steve! After reviewing your comments, im leaning toward the newer switches for the lab. would be nice if they supported them with new OS going back a bit farther on hardware.

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

I'd agree with Reza that it's probably not a good idea, or investment, to use End of Sale kit.

A couple of specific points that immediately spring to mind:

• The Nexus 50XX doesn't support Enhanced vPC which might restrict the available topolgies with FEX (see Using Enhanced vPC)
  • The Nexus 50XX won't run NX-OS releases beyond 5.2 so will become dated pretty quickly and means you probably won't be able to keep your lab and production NX-OS releases in sync.

Agree about the license also. You always get the 90-day evaluation period, but that's not as long as it seems.

Regards

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card