cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus OSPF passive interface

satish.txt1
Level 1
Level 1

I have Cisco Nexus 9396PX switch and running OSPF configuration and now i want to tell all switch interface to not participate in ospf adjacency except only specific interface, so i there any global command to tell all interface in passive. 

Here is my config, only eth2/11 and eth2/12 are participating in ospf routing but i want to make sure it does not send OSPF update to all  48x10GE  (all other 10G ports) in that case do i need to do  "ip ospf passive-interface"  on all interface?

N9K# sh run ospf

!Command: show running-config ospf
!Time: Thu Apr 26 15:22:04 2018

version 7.0(3)I4(7)
feature ospf

router ospf 100
  router-id 192.168.255.19
  default-information originate

interface Ethernet2/11
  ip router ospf 100 area 0.0.0.0

interface Ethernet2/12
  ip router ospf 100 area 0.0.0.0

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, you just need it for e2/11 and e2/12.

HTH

I didn't get it, You are saying i should set `passive-interface default` in ospf config and tell e2/11 & e2/12 to "no ip ospf passive-interface" ?

In current config for testing i did "debug ip ospf hello" and found its just sending "hello" on e2/11 & e2/12 so look like i don't need do any passive-interface config, am i right?

The easiest way to do this is by adding 

ip ospf passive-interface

to both e2/11 & e2/12 

So, neither interface with form adjacency.

You can also do it the other way too by adding 

passive-interface default to OSPF and then add 

"no ip ospf passive-interface" to each interface 

but I like the first option.

HTH

Why do you think first option is best?

"ip ospf passive-interface both e2/11 & e2/12" This command stop OSFP on both interface, in my case i want both interface run OSFP process on e2/11 & e2/12 and stop OSPF on all other interface.

I think second method would be best default OSFP default and do "no ip ospf passive-interface" on e2/11 & e2/12

router ospf 100
passive-interface default
!
int e2/11
no ip ospf passive-interface
!
int e2/12
no ip ospf passive-interface
easiest solution..

fangyachi
Level 1
Level 1

ospf instance's command "passive-interface default" will override your configuration of interface

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card