Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus OSPF SVI consolidation issue

Yun Pan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have encounter a problem when trying to consolidation OSPF adjacency. We ended up rollback the changes, but here is the issue and hopefully someone has a much better idea and we really appreciate your helps:

Two Nexus 7000k core switches, all SVI (about 50 of them) in there has "ip router ospf X area Y". The idea behind this consolidation is to reduce the OSPF adjacency (Instead of having 50+ OSPF peering between SVIs, we have one dedicated SVI for that).

So during the change, we created a dedicated SVI without HSRP and enable OSPF. in the mean time, for the rest of the 50 SVIs, we put an extra command "ip ospf passive-interface" to disable OSPF adjacency.

the SVI Peering comes up, but at the same time, we are getting alerts. At least 1 of that 50 SVIs is having connectivity problem: for some hosts, that SVI IP itself is unreachable; on the other hand, the VIP of that SVI is unreachable by other hosts.

Noted, all 50 SVIs have identical configurations with either HSRP or VRRP.

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Can you post the output of "sh hsrp brief" and a config sample of one of the SVIs from both switches?

Are the 7ks configured as vPC?

I agree with Reza that we need more information. In addition to what he has requested I believe that the output of show ip ospf might be helpful.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Reza & Richard,

Thanks for the quick response. 

Yes 7ks are running as vPC with very old IOS (5.1.4).

I have attached the show command you guys requested

Thanks!

Thanks for the outputs.

Is the vlan/svi you are using to peer OSPF between the 2 switches excluded it from vPC peer link?

During the change,

Yes, after we create the dedicate SVI (lets say 556), we put it under:

vpc domain 10

peer-gateway exclude-vlan 556

Is this what you are referring to?

Thanks

Yes, that is correct.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card