Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus Switch Help

kannan.kannan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

This is regarding Nexus core switch 7010.

We are already running two nexus 7K with ten Nexus 5k.

Currently we are going to add two new Nexus 5k in our DC.

In the 7K we already running two VDC's...

Can you pleade advice how to add the another two Nexus 5k with this current config....

Thanks....

Regards,

Kannan

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

On the 7ks, you would need to allocate the ports that connect to the new 5ks to the correct VDC.

HTH

Thanks Reza...

I need to know is it possible to add on same VDC?...

We already running two VDCs with Ten Nexus 5Ks.

Do you have any document like configuration for add on 5K's?

Thx

Regards,

Kannan

I'm not exactly clear on what you want to accomplish here.

Nexus 5k and 7k is just another switches (high end, of course! )

Just like plugging in 3750s together, you can add in two more 5k

The question is how are the currently ones configured?

Are you running vPC? fabricPath?

How are they cabled? Are the two 5Ks will be doing any kind of SAN?

Are you planning on creating new VDCs on the two newly adding 5k?

Guess, we need to find out more information before suggesting what configurations are necessary.

Hi Kannan,

Yes, as long as you have enough ports allocated to you current VPC, you can add more 5ks.

Adding 5ks is not hard to do.  I am assuming you are connecting the 5ks (2) to both 7Ks.  It this case, you put all 4 links in a Portchannel using VPC. If you also currently have VPC running between your exiting 5Ks, you can do the same for these new once.

have a look at this doc for config examples:

HTH

Hi Team,

We are currently using two VDC and we are going slot a new line card on this switch.

Then please tell me what is the procedure to configure line by line?

You already informed we can use it in the same VDC.

7K# sh vdc

vdc_id  vdc_name                     state                     mac                      type                 lc

------  --------                                 ----                     ----------                    ---------              -----

1       7K                                 active                  40:55:39:25:7c:c1   Ethernet    m1 f1 m1xl

3       AGGREGATION             active                  40:55:39:25:7c:c3   Ethernet    m1 f1 m1xl

7K#

Thanks...

Regards,

Kannan

Hi Team,

Can you please explain the procedure for new line card installation? Step by Step?..

Regards,

Kannan

Hi Kannan,

You can put any line in any slot except the slots that are designated for sup (for 7010 slot 5 and 6).  Other then that:

Make sure that you wear an ESD wrist strap while  you handle each I/O module. Hold the module only on its carrier edges  without touching any electronic circuitry, and place it on antistatic  mats or repack it in its original packing material when it is not  installed in the chassis.

Link here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/hw/nexus7000/installation/guide/n7k_replacing.html#wp1279743

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card