cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

nme-16es-1G-P stuck in boot loop

d2freak82
Level 1
Level 1

I've been researching and trying to fix this for several days, I'm finally giving in and asking for help because I am OUT of ideas. 

First of all, I know I messed up and loaded the wrong IOS image, I think it was 3750E or something image, I later found one that is said to be stable on the module.

Now that we know that, I tried to boot the module from flash on the wrong image, while it's booting up it says stop this within 5 seconds to stop boot. I hit every button and combo of buttons I could think of to stop it, no success. I basically ended up with a faceroll in the end.

I tried putting it in password reset mode, that was suggested to help stop the boot from another forum post I read.... it's in password reset mode now and still doing the same thing. I've tried shutting it down, resetting, factory reset from the router terminal... nothing is working. When I reload the module back to the same story.

Please help me stop the boot so I can delete the image and start over.

5 Replies 5

Hello,

what is the parent router ?

Can you get into ROMMON ? If so, at the ROMMON prompt type:

1. flash_init

2. delete flash:config.text

3. boot

The router is 2811, I can get into rommon on the router is that what you're after? I kinda doubt it, I don't know how to get to rommon on the switch module.
On the interrupt I was going to try to hit pause break, I haven't gotten it to come back up since I posted this yet.

My apologies if this might be redundant, and if you have already tried this, but have a look at the link below:

http://blog.videgro.net/2014/12/recover-nme-16es-1g-p-from-a-corrupt-or-missing-ios/

that article is exactly how I got into the mess I'm in, I loaded the IOS with that method. It doesn't tell you how to stop it from booting or how to fix anything besides uploading the file to the router, and then to the switch, which I was able to do that. Problem is, once I told it to boot on the wrong image, now I can't get back to ROMMON to do anything.... That process did work when I had no IOS, of course I got the wrong one like an idiot. I have the right one now but I don't know how to get to rommon, it just continuously boots. I can't get it to where it's saying interrupt within 5 seconds anymore or I'd try pause break....
My last IDEA is to remove the module, see if there is a flash memory chip that I can remove or something to get it to boot to rommon, just like I did when I first got the 2811 router. I don't know if it is possible on the module though... I've researched this for days trying to find answers. Everyone says get to rommon, and if I can get to there, this is an easy fix for me. Problem is... I can't, so I'm hoping someone here may be able to help.

I've seen several posts on this, and fixes posted, or links... but those links are broken now, does anyone have one that works?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card