cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No Internet Access and Unable to Ping out on Layer 3 Switch

BennyTheBee
Level 1
Level 1

I am doing a project in my class where I have to be able to access the internet from a layer 3 switch that is using internalVlan routing. 

I am using the schools internet connection to supply the switch/hosts with the connection. I am able to ping to other devices on the VLAN, and I am able to ping the switch. That is where it stops. I am unable to ping the schools gateway and beyond. 
I have ip routing enabled, and I have the fa1/0/48 using switchport mode trunk. switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q.

Any ideas how to solve this would be greatly appreciated. 

18 Replies 18

forget the "interface 50"

with further testing it seems adding the IP route causes the failure

We have found a solution. We needed to set the dhcp port coming from the school to obtain an dhcp address and set it as the outside nat. We then had to create a sub interface on our 1900 router that had our IP setup and set that as our inside nat. We also had to set the ip route for "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dhcp". From then we had to create an ACL list on the router, and we are now a greenlight on accessing our equipment/internet. 

Thanks for the update. Glad to know that you have found a solution, and interested in seeing that it includes several of the suggestions that we made. 

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card