Views
Helpful
Replies

no ip cef load-sharing algorithm original

getaway51
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

May I know how to 'fix the connection' from each switch going towards the next gateway to be permanent?

Means if there is a router 1 and router 2, the switch will always use router 1 (same path) for connections originated from the same host.

Something they call 'sticky connection' in F5. This is to avoid split connection issue especially those related to SSL.

Does 'no ip cef load-sharing algorithm original' fix the problem? or anyone has any such experience like SSL keeps dropping due to routing issue?

3 Replies 3

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

We will need more details with a network diagram. Are you using any routing protocol?

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

getaway51
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

It is just one core switch with 2 WAN routers as next hop.  By def, enabling CEF routing in core sw will enable load balancing?

is it round-robin load balancing or per source-destination?

HI,

It depends on how routes are learning from the routing table. Are both routes (for R1 and R2) are in the routing table of the switch? 

If both routes are available in the routing with load-sharing values 1 and 1 than CEF will decide the load-sharing and it depends on the hardware and software modules.  As per your question, I can understand that currently, it is in a default state (looks at the source and destination IP address.).

If your default is not working correctly for you then you can change the algorithms as needed

SW(config)#ip cef load-sharing algorithm ?
  include-ports  Algorithm that includes layer 4 ports
  original       Original algorithm
  tunnel         Algorithm for use in tunnel only environments
  universal      Algorithm for use in most environments

Keep in mind that these names may differents as per hardware and software versions. 

I think reading this article will help you more: https://networklessons.com/cisco/ccie-routing-switching-written/cef-polarization

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card