Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Non-Owned IPs problems...

Hi All,

I would like to get the detail guidance and consensus of using Non-Owned IP in our WAN Network.

In other words, if I'm using PUBLIC IPs which doesn't belongs to me and have GLOBAL Network, so what are the problems devices (using Non-Owned IPs) will be facing...

Regards,

Yaseen

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mert OZKUL
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Yaseen,

These type of actions are blocked by the ISP`s.

Basically, you are establishing a connection with your ISP (generally BGP) so in the ISP policies, everything will be statically defined for your connection.

For example;

ISP can announce to your network whatever you want regarding your requirements. If you need traffic manipulation via BGP you can take full bgp table from your ISP etc.

ISP can take from you, the specified IP address which already registered via RIPE.

In the ISP routing table, they will see the "wrongly written" public ip address at the other side and use their own routing table. So it will be blocked at your ISP in the end.

BR,

-Mert

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mert OZKUL
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Yaseen,

These type of actions are blocked by the ISP`s.

Basically, you are establishing a connection with your ISP (generally BGP) so in the ISP policies, everything will be statically defined for your connection.

For example;

ISP can announce to your network whatever you want regarding your requirements. If you need traffic manipulation via BGP you can take full bgp table from your ISP etc.

ISP can take from you, the specified IP address which already registered via RIPE.

In the ISP routing table, they will see the "wrongly written" public ip address at the other side and use their own routing table. So it will be blocked at your ISP in the end.

BR,

-Mert

Hi Mert,

Thanks for the explanation...

I'm still looking for more about this topic, could you please share more, if possible.

Regards,

Yaseen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card