Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Noobie: bpduguard: connect Netgear Wifi Router

I am a total Cisco Noobie here, so don't be too hard on me.

I have a Catalyst 2960. It's completely vanilla other than portfast bpduguard set to default.

Now, I want to connect my Netgear AC3200 Wifi Router as an AP. I was previously using it in this fashion with my Linksys Unmanged Switch.

I connected the Netgear and of course the interface went to errdisable because of bpduguard...

So, how do I get around this? I understand the issue to be with STP and the connection of another switch, but where do I go from here?

4 Replies 4

DCook@slco.org
Level 1
Level 1

BPDUguard puts a port in err-disable state when it receives a bpdu on access port. Typically when I am connecting a router to a switch I configure the port as a trunk port...

first default the interface (config t , default interface gig XXX) then depending on the switch ( interface gig XXX, switchport , switchport mode trunk , description UPLINK-NETGEAR ,)

your interface would look something like this.

interface TenGigabitEthernet1/1/1
description UPLINK-NETGEAR
switchport mode trunk

The Wifi Router wouldn't be used as a router, however strictly as a AP for the LAN. The router is actually a PfSense box.

Hello @JeremyRangel02166 ,

you need to disable BPU guard on the specific port where you connect the WIFI netgear device

int gi0/12

desc NETGEAR

spanning-tree bpdu guard disable

The command should be this one.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

yes you can just disable it 

config t

interface xxxx

no spanning-tree bpduguard

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card