Views
Helpful
Replies

NTP

mkannan_29
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Can you please help to enable NTP in CISCO router.

Currently ntp has been disabled & I am trying to enable NTP service, but I didn't find the commands.

Currently I have configured ntp clockperiod, ntp peer X.X.X.X & ntp source gig0/0 in my router.

But still I am getting "Clock is unsynchronized, stratum 16, no reference clock".

Below is the config & error message

router#sh run | in ntp
ntp disable
ntp disable
ntp source GigabitEthernet0/1
ntp peer X.X.X.X

router#sh ntp sta

Clock is unsynchronized, stratum 16, no reference clock

Also if I am scan my network devices I am getting the error message

"Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Detection An NTP (Network Time Protocol) server is listening on this port".

Need your technical assistance on the above.

Regards,

M.K

3 Replies 3

Hi,

I Hope you are trying to configure the router as NTP client..

First you need to set the timezone after that you need to configure the below commands

ntp server

ntp update-calender

ntp source   // this is the interface in which you should able to reach the NTP server//

For more information,have a look of the below URL

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_1/configfun/configuration/guide/fcd303.html#wp1001170

regards

karuppu

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi All,

Can you please help to enable NTP in CISCO router.

Currently ntp has been disabled & I am trying to enable NTP service, but I didn't find the commands.

Currently I have configured ntp clockperiod, ntp peer X.X.X.X & ntp source gig0/0 in my router.

But still I am getting "Clock is unsynchronized, stratum 16, no reference clock".

Also if I am scan my network devices I am getting the error message

"Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Detection An NTP (Network Time Protocol) server is listening on this port".

Need your technical assistance on the above.

Regards,

M.K

Hi M.K,

if you want your router to be NTP server for your local lan then you need to make this as ntp master with startum vlaue and you want you can assign a authentication key also so that trusted clients can sync with your routers.

check out the below link for NTP configuration in routers hope to help

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_1/configfun/configuration/guide/fcd303.html#wp1001170

Remember to rate the helpful post

Ganesh.H

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ok.  Firstly, what is your NTP time source?  Is it an authoritative Windows server or something?  NTP clock-period is auto-generated by an appliance once the timesource is established so this command is not required.  What appliance (switch, router, ap, etc.) are you using this command on?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card