cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Obtaining a DHCP address for WAN interface on 6500 SUP32 or SUP720

nemike
Level 1
Level 1

I have been running a Cisco 6500 for many years and I have just recently "upgraded" to fiber, but the new ISP requires obtaining the IP address (even static IPs) via DHCP.  Although I see there is "ip dhcp client client-id ..." "ip dhcp client class-id ..." "ip dhcp client lease ..." and "ip dhcp client hostname ..." there is no support for "ip address dhcp".  The only choice with "ip address" is "A.B.C.D IP address".  Am I missing something?  I have tried: 12.2(33)SXJ4 and 15.1(2)SY9.  Forgive me if I forgot some important detail, old man brain...

Thanks, Mike

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You may find this thread informational : https://community.cisco.com/t5/routing/dhcp-address-on-interface-catalyst-6500/td-p/765392

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thanks for your suggestion, that thread is the same issue as mine but it had no solution. Also an SVI interface also doesn’t support “ip address dhcp” on mine either.  Must be a specific type of line card or interface can support it because if the client commands exist you would think this version of IOS has dhcp client support…

- Note that it is normally not intended to connect that type of  boxes directly to an ISP as they more service Intranet networking, I would suggest to use a router in between which may also provide an extra layer of security.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Would your suggested router also handle DHCP client request for 13 IP addresses each with a different mac address on one interface?  If so what router are you recommending?

can you check if you can config DHCP under SVI interface ??

Unfortunately an SVI interface doesn't have "ip address dhcp" either.

It appears the "set" command applies only to the sc0 and sc1 and as far as I can tell this 6500 does not have sc0 and sc1..  There is no "set" command anywhere that I can tell.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card