cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

One Management Vlan per Access switch ??

Siddique90
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've searched every corner of the internet to find the answer to my question but unfortunately came across none.

Heres the scenario :

We are redesigning and reconfiguring our network as per cisco's Recommended Campus design , which says not to span vlans across access switches. So now ive ended up with 25 vlans from 7 vlans.

Anyways, My question is regarding Management vlans. Can i span them or do i have one management vlan per switch ? Or should i just use vlan 1? We have around 8 access switches. That would mean 8 vlans for management purposes. 

Edit:  Further clarification - Im following cisco's Loop free design and containing my vlans per switch. How do i implement the management vlan? would it have to be the same on all switches or one mgmt vlan per switch (as spanning is not recommended)

7 Replies 7

Hitesh Vinzoda
Level 4
Level 4

Limit your management VLAN till the distribution layer do not span over the dist layer using MLS. I would have used separate vlan other than 1 just my preference as you cannot restrict vlan 1 on trunk ports it is allowed by default.

HTH

Hitesh

Im talking about spanning them across the access layer switches. My vlans do not duplicate on every switch. This is to avoid the usage of stp and potential loops. But then what about management vlan ? does that have to be unique per access switch as well ?

No it doesn't have to be. you can use the same mgmt vlan all the way to distribution switch.

HTH

Hitesh

What about 'not spanning vlans across switches ' ?

Does that not apply to management vlans ?

Yes it does.

To clarify once again.

• Use single mgmt vlan with cluster of switches terminating upto distrubution layer ( this is where your routing happens)
  • use separate mgmt vlan for the separate distribution group

HTH

Hitesh

Hello Siddique,

not sure what you mean by spanning VLANs across access switches, can you provide the link ?

Either way, the management VLAN should be the same on all switches. The recommendation though is not to use VLAN 1 (the default VLAN) for management.

Hi george, Thanks for your reply. I've edited my question slightly.

heres the link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Campus/HA_campus_DG/hacampusdg.html

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card