Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF area design

Yachay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I need your help in order to know if the design which I am attaching will work or I will have some problems with that.

OSPF design.jpg

Thanks!

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

It should work fine You have router-C connecting router-A and B in area 1 and the link between A and B is in area 0.

HTH

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Depends on how you configure your areas.

For example, if you summarize area 1.1.1.1, and RtrB loses its p2p to RtrC, it would drop area 1.1.1.1 traffic unless you also have another area 1.1.1.1 link on it. If there were another area 1.1.1.1 link, to say a RtrD, traffic might need to flow down to RtrD, then back to RtrA to get to RtrC.

Hi

It will work, additional to other members comments is configure Router C's interfaces connecting to Router A and B into the area 0 and keep the networks behind of Router C into of Area 1. 

Now if your network is built with 3 routers only, multiareas is not needed, usually multiareas is used with 10 or more routers. 

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Thanks all!

Actually, the network has more routers (6 in area 0) and several other ones in different areas connected to those routers A or B (ABRs) through single links, but a particular location has two links to routers A and B.

Hi

Thank you for the explanation, you could keep just the links to router A and B over the Area 0 and the other networks behind the router over area X. So these router connected Router A & B (saying backbone) will be an ABR.

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Thanks Julio.

That was my first thought, but architects want to keep only those couple of routers as the main and only ABRs in the whole network. Just I wanted to be sure that configuring the same area in different ABRs won't break anything.

Thanks again.

For 3 routers, you really don't need 2 areas and much simpler with one area (area0) but if it is a requirement than that is fine too.

HTH

Hi

It will work fine, and no inconveniences will be generated, other routes will be seen as IA (inter areas), If you are going to use different areas I suggest include this commando on your OSPF process: ISPF, Incremental SPF allows the system to recompute only the affected part of the tree.

Hope it is useful

:-)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card