Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF Feature Set on 3750X

I have a 3750X stack with LANBASE licenses.  I need the ability to do layer 3 routing and simple OSPF.

For Example, I would like to add the following config.

router ospf 100

redistribute static metric-type 1 subnets route-map static-to-ospf

passive-interface default

no passive-interface Vlan2

network 10.175.0.0 0.0.255.255 area 0

!

Can I upgrade to IP Base license (L-C3750X-48-L-S) or do I need to go all the way to IP Services (C3750X-48-L-E) for OSPF?  Also, I have two switches in the stack, do I need the license for both, or just the master?

Thanx

3 Replies 3

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Timothy,

OSPF is only available with IP Services:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/white_paper_c11-579326_ps10745_Products_White_Paper.html

The members of a stack all need to have the same feature set, so you would need a license for each switch. Alternatively, depending on use you could daisy chain the pair?

cheers,

Seb.

Acutally, it looks like IP Base does have the simple OSPF config I need.  I downloaded a temp IP Base license and it seems to be working with my config.  I did have to put a license on both switches, which I do need stacked for redundant port-channels.

Thanx.

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Seb Rupik wrote:

Hi Timothy,

OSPF is only available with IP Services:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/white_paper_c11-579326_ps10745_Products_White_Paper.html

The members of a stack all need to have the same feature set, so you would need a license for each switch. Alternatively, depending on use you could daisy chain the pair?

Seb, if you carefully read your whitepaper, you'll find:

Q. In a stack of Cisco Catalyst 3750-E or 3750-X switches, must the same type of feature set be used on each switch?

A. Cisco StackWise Plus combines powerful failover capabilities with  unified software management. When the same type of feature set is used  on each switch in a stack, failover and software management features  work as designed: simply and transparently.

Notice it doesn't say you must have the same feature set.

You don't need the same feature set (or license) but there are some possible issues when you don't.  The biggest being if an advanced feature is being provided by the current master and if it fails, the new master might not support it.

There's also restrictions, I recall, mixing LAN Base with IP Base or IP Advanced Services.

[edit]

The later IOS versions of IP Base, I believe, provide some limited OSPF features too (to support OSPF to the edge).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: