cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF in IP Base License (Cisco 4500 switch)

Noy-pi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can someone explain what is the purpose or meaning of "OSPF for Routed Access" in IP Base license for 4500 switch? I'll be installing 4500 switch for my distribution, and 6500 switch for my core. These two switches will use OSPF as their routing protocol. The 6500 comes with an IP Service license, while 4500 comes with IP Base license only. I am worried if I will have a problem implementing OSPF between the two since IP base states it has "OSPF for roued access", while IP services supports OSPFv2 and v3.

Please help...

thanks,

shawn

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Shawn

OSPF for routed access is designed to allow you to extend L3 to your access layer. It supports one instance of OSPF and up to 200 routes. That said i have come across a thread on here where a person reports having many more routes so i'm not sure it is a hardwired limit but i would try and stay within that.

See this link for details -

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/product_bulletin_c25-553133.html

Edit - i should say i have not use it myself but from the document it seems pretty clear it is simply a normal OSPF setup but limited to how many routes you can have.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card