Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF network types

I'm reading through my OSPF network types... and I am having trouble understand the reasoning beind each of the network types:

broadcast

nonbroadcast

point-multipoint

point-to-multipoint nonbroadcast

My understanding is that on a multipoint frame relay network nonbroadcast is the default.

In some instances you will need to set static neighbor commands (nonbroadcast and point-multipoint nonbroadcast) and in some cases you need to do static frame relay mappings to compensation of the partial PVC mesh etc etc.

But as I read all of this I can't help but think "this network type is something that WE, as the network engineer, get to chose. So why, all things being equal, would we not always set the network type to be broadcast and just let the neighbors form dynmically?"

To me it seems like we are not forced to choose any one of those above 4 option over any other. So why, for example, would we ever chose point-to-multipoint non-broadcast?

I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself well. Usually if I study something enough I finally "click" to the overarching idea and can understand how and why all the different pieces fit together. But frame-relay, being one of my weaknesses, is making it difficult for me to understand the idea beind these network types.

Any help would be appreciated. Please let me know if I'm not explaining myself all that well.

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Steven,

Back in 2009, I tried to explain the OSPF network types in quite a lengthy thread. This is it:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/211216

Although lengthy, it may cover some of your questions. Please try to go over it and feel free to ask any further questions!

Best regards,

Peter

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

In addition to Peter's post with a lots of great info, here is short doc with pictures showing each network:

http://packetlife.net/blog/2008/jun/19/ospf-network-types/

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card