Views
Helpful
Replies

Ospf

Darren Candlish
Level 1
Level 1

Hey All

I am trying to connect my three routers in the same subnet for my ospf studies through a layer 2 switch. First off would this sort of scenario work. I've checked the ip addresses, interfaces, network statements but not getting a ospf adjaency or ping replies. I put ports in the same vlan and in access mode.

Thanks                   

6 Replies 6

blau grana
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Darren,

These have to match on both interfaces to become OSPF neighbors:

Area ID

Subnet mask (unless on point-to-point link, or virtual-link)

Timers

Stub Flag

MTU (this can be overridden though)

But first you have to be able to ping each other.

Best Regards

Please rate all helpful posts and close solved questions

Best Regards Please rate all helpful posts and close solved questions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Can you post configs?

Hi

I changed the switch ports to desirable from access and now able to ping devices, but not getting past init for ospf. I changed the routing protocol to eigrp and adjeancy comes up. If it's a shared connection in the same subnet then I wouldn't expect to see dual routes in the routing table, but just my connected ones.

Hello Darren,

Can you please post configs of routers and switch, there is not enough info to be able to help you.

If everything is correctly configured, each router will have two OSPF neighbors. One router will be DR, second will be BDR and last one DROTHER.

Best Regards

Hi

I am unable to paste my configs, it doesn't allow me. It seemed it worked all along, but I didnt check debug which elected the routers and able to ping no problems. Just out of curiosity would routers connect to a switch in production for a multiaccess setup.

Thanks for help

Just out of curiosity would routers connect to a switch in production for a multiaccess setup.

Yes, in some scenarios can be use this solution. It always depends on your requirements and also what is best solution for less money.

Best Regards

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card