Output from Show Spanning Tree

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

When I run the following command on my Core Switch -

show spanning tree

I see the following output - 

Spanning tree enabled protocol rstp

When I add the summary command, show spanning tree summary, I see the following -

sh spanning-tree summary
Switch is in rapid-pvst mode

What is the reason for the difference in the outputs, e.g one shows RSTP and the other shows rapid-pvst. My switch is configured with the following -

sh run | sec spanning
spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst
spanning-tree extend system-id
spanning-tree vlan 1-4094 priority 0

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It seems to me that rapid-pvst is an extension of the Rapid Spanning Tree and that you can not execute that extension without enabling RSTP.

Note that your first output does not say that it is running RSTP. It only says that RSTP is enabled.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It seems to me that rapid-pvst is an extension of the Rapid Spanning Tree and that you can not execute that extension without enabling RSTP.

Note that your first output does not say that it is running RSTP. It only says that RSTP is enabled.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I am in the middle of reading a bunch of spanning tree documentation as it has been an area I have neglected in work and study.... 

Your answer makes sense Rick, it does seem that one is an extension of the other. I maybe should have waited until I was deeper into my reading before asking. When I come across something I am unsure of though it is constantly there in the back of my mind...

Thanks again.

I am glad that my response was helpful. Spanning Tree can get a bit complex and is an area where many of us can get confused. These forums are excellent places to ask questions and to learn more about topics such as Spanning Tree. I am glad to see you continuing to be active in the forums.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

As I suspected Rick, after further reading the answer was there. Also found this from an older conversation on here -

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11442331/stp-8021d-vs-pvst-and-rstp-8021w-vs-rapid-pvst

Clears things up. Hopefully a quick refresher for anyone also.

Thanks again.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card