cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Overloaded Circuit Causing Random Interface Drops?

nlanich01
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have tried two Catalyst 3560 PoE switches on a specific jack. The first switch repeatedly dropped PoE cameras requiring a complete reload to bring back up. I tried a newer model 3560, and the same phenomena occurred. Our electricians just discovered that the circuit the switch is on is overloaded. It would seem to me that a power problem would result in an all or nothing situation, meaning the switch would completely lose power or reload, not just drop a couple of the four populated ports randomly. Has anyone encountered a similar problem? Could an overloaded circuit cause intermittent interface drops, while some stay up? (There are only 4 x 15 watt cameras on the 8 PoE port switch)

TY

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
3 Replies 3

Hello @nlanich01 

It would be nice to see the logs but considering only your description and question, I would say it is possible to expect weid behavior if the switch power supply is not receiving the required amperage.  The switch will disable ports preventing them to get PoE and, if you had Access Point, you could see access point radios disabled.

nlanich01
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the rapid responses fellas!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card