cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet forwarding issue on line card 6509

chrisc100
Level 1
Level 1

On a 6509 we are seeing an issue that on a group of ports (9-12), packets are not being forwarded, when using the other ports everything is fine (same config).

Line card is WS-X6716-10GE CEF720 16 port, and has a DFC card WS-F6700-DFC3C 

How can we check if the issue is related to the actual line card or DFC card?

Would this show up from the diagnostics?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chrisc100,

What version of IOS are you running ? It is possible you have a bad Port ASIC or MUX ASIC on the module, as you can see from the picture that ports 9-12 are all tied to these two common pieces of the module infrastructure:

6716 Module Architecture.png

Unfortunately, this module has passed it End of Support date (July 31, 2020), so RMA is no longer possible (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/eos-eol-notice-c51-733297.html).

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon

Senior Technical Marketing Engineer

Enterprise Networking and Cloud Group

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- What do you mean by packets not  being forwarded ? Are the ports dead ? 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

All ports are UP, no errors (FCS or other).  Span shows packet is forwarded from the port, on the peer side its not received. Its something related with the group of ports 9-12 on the line card, when we swap to another port (e.g. 1-4) everything works fine.

chrisc100,

What version of IOS are you running ? It is possible you have a bad Port ASIC or MUX ASIC on the module, as you can see from the picture that ports 9-12 are all tied to these two common pieces of the module infrastructure:

6716 Module Architecture.png

Unfortunately, this module has passed it End of Support date (July 31, 2020), so RMA is no longer possible (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/eos-eol-notice-c51-733297.html).

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon

Senior Technical Marketing Engineer

Enterprise Networking and Cloud Group

- You may want to re-seat the module and look at the diagnostics output on the console (also check the module led-status indicator). 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

chrisc100
Level 1
Level 1

Thankyou that's very helpful info, version is 15.1(2)SY8.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card