Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet tracer help for someone who is super confused

uyeahaku
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm looking for any assistance with learning how to implement a network from scratch in packet tracer. I have an assigned project that involves implementing things I learn each week in class into it within packet tracer. I'm doing the lab exercises weekly. I can complete those for the most part with a little googling, but when it comes to the ability to implement the concepts into my project, I am completely lost (Because I'm memorizing rather than doing). I'm spending hours on this every week which I don't think is the point. I have nowhere else to go for help at this point. No tutoring option and my schedule makes me unable to commit to a teacher meeting. I am sure people would look at this and think I'm an idiot, and maybe I am with this networking stuff. It's just not clicking with me at all and I've tried really hard for weeks and just can't.

Here's what I need help with:

1. DHCP servers not working and getting APIPA. I know it's bad practice to have multiple DHCP servers within the different subnets, but I was desperate to get it to just work weeks ago for class and it was the only option I had. I was not taught if/how to get multiple server pools to work within a router. If that's possible I'd like to do that.

2. Inter-VLAN routing setup on routers. I set up VLANS on all the switches and at least started with the routers.

3. IPv6 addressing. My difficulty with network setup, in general, was devising my IPv4 scheme. IPv6 is no different. I went through, did the lab yesterday, looked at my project and I'm 1000000% confused as to how to do it. No other guides were provided, and I can't find a resource online to map these out as I could for IPv4.

Here is an upload of my .pka https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GKoeUbLgonddA7TUyAJ-gBDtM0ieuzsB/view?usp=sharing

Any assistance with this would be mighty appreciated. Networking really isn't my thing, and I envy those of you who understand this stuff. 

Thanks,
-Ash

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I have done some redesign of your devices. I have set up the routers to function as DHCP servers, and I have set all devices to DHCP (which is probably not what you want eventually, but it will get you started).

I have set up inter-Vlan routing on the routers, and used EIGRP as a routing protocol.

Basically, you have end to end connectivity now between all devices.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hello,

I opened your file. What are the requirements, that is, what, if any, instructions are you following ?

Georg,

There were no concrete instructions such as how-tos. Basically we complete some handpicked CCNA packet tracer labs, read a Network+ textbook relating to the labs, and each week implement the things we learned into this project. 

By the time I submit my project, this is the ideal configuration per the requirements (I will be removing some of the content that hasn't been covered yet):

• An established connection to an ISP (simulated)
  • All Host are segmented by VLANs so the groups don't have access to another group's devices.
  • Develop an IPv4 Address Scheme
    • Implement DHCP for IPv4
    • Configure, Test and Verify IPv4 End-to-End Connectivity
  • Develop an IPv6 Address Scheme
    • Configure, Test and Verify IPv6 End-to-End Connectivity
  • All Servers will have static IPs programmed. - Done
  • DHCP configured for all other devices.
  • Basic Routing between VLANs

Thank you so much for taking a look!

-Ash

What are the passwords for the device(s)/switch(es) ?

password should just be "cisco" for all

Hello,

I have done some redesign of your devices. I have set up the routers to function as DHCP servers, and I have set all devices to DHCP (which is probably not what you want eventually, but it will get you started).

I have set up inter-Vlan routing on the routers, and used EIGRP as a routing protocol.

Basically, you have end to end connectivity now between all devices.

Georg,

Thank you so much!! I'm very sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Everything looks to be working and I've been able to continue learning more about networking in packet tracer with your assistance. I very much appreciate your input and work.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card