cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Tracer is confusing ,DHCP stopped working, and Ping fails everywhere.

coopedeville
Level 1
Level 1

I am working on a project and am so frustrated at my inability to finish it.  The professor cannot respond fast enough in order to ask requisite questions to correct my errors.  I would appreciate it if I could get at least one fix.  All is likely too much to ask.

I have a three-site network with three VLANS on each site.

VLANs:

-Management (for the edge router, and core/access switches)

-Production (for the "2" PCs; DHCP is needed for these)

-Server (four servers, with static IPs)

Honolulu, Lihue, and Lilo have the VLANs, respectively, as:

20,21,22 and

-I have set a port-channel between the core switches and set redundancy for the servers and their access switches.

-VTP is setup on the switches.

-rapid-pvst is also set on the switches.

-Spanning-tree is set

-I have a router on a stick configuration.  In the Honolulu site, VLAN 10 has sub-interface 10.1, VLAN 11 has 11.1, and 12 has 12.1.

I am working on one site, Honolulu, and can copy-paste the rest (with few changes) to the other sites.

I have attached my PT file.

The most frustrating thing is that I cannot ping anything. I had DHCP working, but when messed with DHCP pools and now I cannot.  

What makes it even more frustrating, Simulation mode is as buggy as can be...  It sends packets to other sites that aren't even connected.

I assume I'm missing glaring errors, but the project is too complex for me, I can't even tell where to look.

Frustratedly,

Edmund

11 Replies 11

can you share the topology here, I couldn't open PT file

@MHM Cisco World Thank you for your reply.  Attached is the PT and Draw.io topologies.

Edge router

Core Switches

Distribution Switches

Access Switches

PCs - Servers

Screenshot 2021-07-10 203304.pngNetwork Diagram.png

if the SW is config as L3 with "ip routing" then 

PC and server will use SVI of SW it connect to as default GW

SW will connect to other SW and to router as L3 not as L2 and hence Router on Stick is not work.

"IP routing" is not enabled. I still cannot ping the switch.

Attached are the "sh run" results for HLSW01-1F, HLDSW01-2F (the core switch above it), and the edge router HLR01.

in Edge Router remove IP address from Gi0/1 and do shut then no shut this interface and try again. 

I did that.  It seems that it didn't work. Still unable to ping the default gateway.

OK, PC can not ping GW if it not get ip from dhcp. 
so let start solve this issue step by step, 

step one assign manually IP in one PC and config the GW "same subineterface ip of router" and then ping if you success then the issue is PC not get IP from DHCP.

I manually set the IP, and GW.  I can ping the GW, but DHCP still fails.  I cannot ping switches in between.  So, now I understand DHCP is wrong on GW.

ping between SW need you to config the default GW in each SW.
ip default-gateway 

for DHCP I will see the config and reply back

With router on a stick there are three default GW 10.1, 11.1, and 12.1.  Or default gateway for VLAN 1?

only one default GW is enough to make SW talk to other SW.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card