Helpful
Replies

password breaking on cisco Cat 3850 and 2960

lplooh888
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sir / Madam,

Just want to clarify with you all.

1. can anyone break the password and amend the setting? and put back the original password?

2. do it has any ways to amend the setting on Cisco Cat 3850 or Cat 2960 switches without ant password?

3. Do we have any ways to prevent these happen?

Sorry to ask above questions. 

I hope i can get the answer ASAP. 

Thank you

From,

James

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

1. can anyone break the password and amend the setting? and put back the original password?

Yes if they have console direct access anyone can do it , lock your cabinet/rack where its located so you cant just connect up or lock the comms room

2. do it has any ways to amend the setting on Cisco Cat 3850 or Cat 2960 switches without ant password?

Im not sure what exactly are you asking here ?, are you saying to use the switch without a password set , you need a password for at least remote connectivity , its a bad idea to have a production device online without security

3 You can disable password recovery , be very careful doing that if you lose the password you could be in a lot of trouble if you need to get back in , see doc below

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/sec_usr_cfg/configuration/15-sy/sec-usr-cfg-15-sy-book/sec-no-svc-pw-recvry.html#GUID-C0C6C993-F6C7-4296-A751-7F7C821988F0

Hi Mark Malone,

Thank you so much for your reply.

Another question.

Can i set just specified interface can using telnet or ssh to access the console? Means i disabled all the telnet or ssh. I just enable telnet and ssh access to interface gigabitethernet1/0/1.

thank you

Hi

so this is the thing you can easily source how traffic leaves the router by which interface with setting the source for that traffic  , now currently if you want to redirect traffic back in by say a particular interface  port you need to use acls to block it coming back in through the other ports , we have done this for security its time consuming and is not the best method and the acls become very lengthy when using a lot of MGMT protocols and devices

There is another feature called MPP but its not fully released yet in ios-xe but I have a feature enhancement request open with Cisco currently to get it added , its there in cli but its not fully supported so you will have issues when trying to use it  

Im hoping the feature gets pushed soon in the next release or two , I have been told it should be fingers crossed

don't use telnet its not secure and you can see your password if someone sniffs the wire even on the lan locally , use ssh version 2 , set the keys to at least 1024

This is what I got back before I raised the enhancement

As per the information the feature MPP is not supported on ASR1k(IOS-XE) as of now. Please refer feature navigator link below:

http://cfn.cloudapps.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/by-feature-technology.jsp

From the link above you can select the feature "Management plane protection" and you will find the supported platforms. Unfortunately this is not yet  supported on IOS-XE platforms. Digging internally I could find an enhancement bug as well to add this feature for IOS-XE which was raised earlier  however the DDTS was in closed  since there was no relevant request raised at that time. You may find the DDTS information from the link below:

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCts41086/?reffering_site=dumpcr

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card