cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Password recovery (cisco 3560 switch)

jahanzeb.feroze
Level 1
Level 1

I want to recover my password for cisco 3560 switch, i am able to enter initial password , but when entering into "en" mode i dont know the password for it..

Please guide me how to do it.

Regards

Jahanzeb

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Although bypassing the startup config is great, many people want to keep their configuration with minimal effort. So once you bypass the startup config and you're able to access the switch, type

'copy flash:(renamed config file) running-config'

This will copy your existing configuration file !!! INCLUDING !!! the username and password. While you still have access since it shouldn't kick you just type a new username and password or remove the old for future access. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

pdub206
Level 1
Level 1

Are you able to reboot the 3560? Make sure to save your config first with "copy run start"

If you can, you can boot into ROMMON mode and set the switch to not boot the startup-config.  After setting this configuration register mode, boot the switch, and then make sure you have full CLI access.  Assuming you got this far, perform a "copy start run" and you should have enable privileged mode access.

Throwing packets since 2012

Ditto what doug posted.  Use the guide to get to rommon and then rename the config so it boots without it.

Although bypassing the startup config is great, many people want to keep their configuration with minimal effort. So once you bypass the startup config and you're able to access the switch, type

'copy flash:(renamed config file) running-config'

This will copy your existing configuration file !!! INCLUDING !!! the username and password. While you still have access since it shouldn't kick you just type a new username and password or remove the old for future access. 

The password recovery procedure in Cisco's documentation is pretty succinct. The longest part of this procedure is waiting for the switch to reboot other than that it's a quick process. This procedure already includes saving your configuration with your current username and passwords.

They could always save a copy of the running-config to the flash: or backup it up to a TFTP server after gaining access. The "enable" password doesn't have a "username" associated with it since its used to enter privileged mode. Since this is "local" to the switch changing the "enable" password shouldn't be an issue.

Glenn Martin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Transferring discussion to Network Infrastructure Lan Switching community

yilmaz aydin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone, 

There is a small error in this procedure. The system light never turns solid green but the SPEED light. When you hold the "MODE" button for around 15-30 seconds, you will see some port lights (SFP ports 15-16) blink orange and after a while blink green. 

After that, at some point, the "SPEED" light turns solid green. At that time, release the "Mode" button and see the "Switch:" prompt on the screen. The rest of the steps are exactly the same. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: