Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Password Reset not working on C3850

I am currently working on performing a factory reset on two switches that were once stacked. I was able to perform password recovery on one switch with no issues and got it working using the steps below, however when performing the same steps on the second switch when booting the switch it boots back to its config file - asking for the password that I do not help. Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong? Thanks

Configurations used for Password Recovery (INSTALL MODE):

switch: flash_init
Initializing Flash...
...The flash is already initialized.

switch: SWITCH_IGNORE_STARTUP_CFG=1

switch: boot
Getting rest of image
Reading full image into memory....done
Reading full base package into memory...

I have tried using the Switch: SWITCH_DISABLE_PASSWORD_RECOVERY=0 cmd in rommon, however it I am hit with the following prompt: Can't set variable "SWITCH_DISABLE_PASSWORD_RECOVERY" -- is readonly.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@CarsonDavis56998 wrote:

I was able to perform password recovery on one switch with no issues

There are two switches:  Switch 1 is already factory-reset.  Switch 2 is having problems, right? 

So try this: 

1. Power up Switch 1.  
  2. Leave Switch 2 powered OFF
  3. Connect a single stacking cable to Switch 2. 
  4. Power up Switch 2 and wait for Switch 2 to join the stack.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@CarsonDavis56998 wrote:

I was able to perform password recovery on one switch with no issues

There are two switches:  Switch 1 is already factory-reset.  Switch 2 is having problems, right? 

So try this: 

1. Power up Switch 1.  
  2. Leave Switch 2 powered OFF
  3. Connect a single stacking cable to Switch 2. 
  4. Power up Switch 2 and wait for Switch 2 to join the stack.

It is now working, I originally thought I needed to perform the same procedures on both switches. Thanks for the clarification.

@CarsonDavis56998 wrote:

It is now working, I originally thought I needed to perform the same procedures on both switches. Thanks for the clarification.

Just want to point out if the two switches are going back to the "stores" for future use, I strongly recommend they have a complete "factory-reset" so as to clear some "gunk" in their system. 

Be warned that a complete "factory-reset" will erase the entire flash of the switch and the switch will boot into flash ROMMON. 

The command to do this "factory-reset" is "factory-reset all".  

When the switch boots into ROMMON, use the command "emergency-install usbflash0:IOS_firmware.bin" to put the firmware back in.  

The reason why this the password-recovery did not work is because of the OS itself.  Sometimes it works but most of the time the most "efficient" way is to what I have described above, i.  e.  stack the problematic switch to a switch with a known password and then erase the config/factory-reset all.

Hi

Try this way:

Add the following variables.
Switch: SWITCH_IGNORE_STARTUP_CFG=1
Switch: SWITCH_DISABLE_PASSWORD_RECOVERY=0

Then boot the switch.
Switch: boot

Once the switch has booted you can copy the saved config back into the running config.
Switch# copy start runn

Next set your password(s).

Finally we want to remove the variables we set while in Boot Loader.

Switch# no system ignore startupconfig switch all
Switch# system disable password recovery switch all

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card