Views
Helpful
Replies

Peering OSPF over Nexus 5K peer-link

Kyle Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am interested in some guidance on the best way to peer OSPF over a vPC. I understand by default the peer-link provides loop avoidance which is why dynamic routing protocols cant peer across the peer-link. I did read another article stating that you can peer OSPF if you use a separate VLAN but I want to make sure I am doing this correctly.

If I have a single router and a pair of 5K's, I would prefer to create a routed interface on each 5K and have a /30 connection going back up to the router. From there, do I just create a SVI on the 5K with another /30 and add that vlan to the peer-link or does it not need to be a SVI?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your option 2 is the best way and no you don't need an SVI , just make them routed ports .  those links do not need to be in the peer link.  Only vlans that are going to be in a VPC setup should be on the peer link  .  The peer link and vpc keep alives links are used strictly for VPC setups . 

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your option 2 is the best way and no you don't need an SVI , just make them routed ports .  those links do not need to be in the peer link.  Only vlans that are going to be in a VPC setup should be on the peer link  .  The peer link and vpc keep alives links are used strictly for VPC setups . 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card