Views
Helpful
Replies

Performance question on N3k

blackmetal
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,
look at i.imgur.com/tBcM3hH.png this is current topology, pair of qfx is doing only l2 and pair of n3k is only doing routing (bgp, ..). for some reason i want to do this diagram: i.imgur.com/ck7lOdJ.png so pair of n3k is doing l2 and l3 at the same time, for l2 feature i do not use any special feature there are port-channel per top of rack switch and switch port access vlan 1,2,... just it, so if i do second topology does it impact on n3k switch performance, or it does not?i guess there is no impact , it just receive the traffic from different ports instead of 1x port-channel (n3k uplink to qfx downlink is my mean)
Thank you.

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since we do not know the kind of Load these sever generating, if this is normal Enterprise setup you expecting Server for your environment, should be ok.

If this is Public DC and you expecting Lot traffic, you have another issue Like DoS attack and other stuff, so good to have FW  between N3K and Internet.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

blackmetal
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

actually my traffic is around 12-15gbps and 4-5m pps and i am not worry about ddos, dos attacks from outside (internet) towards y server because my upstream has ddos protection and i have servers with normal website and hosting services ,

actually i am not worry about other things, i just want to know if i move layer 2 traffic from qfx to n3k , are they able to handle it without any cpu or performance issue?

they should be - as per your original diagram Servers passing QFX - N3K (on the new diagram you removing QFX switches) if this was working before with out any issue  - I do not see any issue removing one layer caused the issue here -

since we do not know the model you can compare below their performance :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/nexus-3000-series-switches/models-comparison.html

BB

yes it was working fine before, and we have n3k-c3064pq-10gx , so the does not cause any high cpu usages or performance for my n3k ?

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The switch model capable of handling that traffic(as per docs), but you need to keep the monitor as part of the Migration Process.

Hope your traffic mentioned switching traffic, since 10G is the biggest link, hope you are not expected to have since server with the level of traffic.

BB

blackmetal
Level 1
Level 1

thank you for you rhelpful answers, and as last question i have around 500-600x SVIs with different ip address and secondary ip address, as i see 3064pq it can handle up to 1024 SVI so i have no problem with arp table and otherthing ?

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I may be not tested, (but on nexus 5K this was works as expected) - i do not see any issue here.

you can refer limitations here ;

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus3000/sw/configuration_limits/503_u2_2/b_Nexus3K_Configuration_Limits_for_Cisco_NXOS_Release_503_u2_2.html

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card