Views
Helpful
Replies

PI space with NSSA static route redistribution

amigomnemonik
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Recently I have encountered a problem while trying to implement NSSA area on a part of our network.

After redistributing static routes and connected with "subnets" keywords, the routers (ASR) were  not  able to see the static route with mask /24 in their routing table as N2 rouyte type, hence the external routes were not reachable by the routers sitting in the backbone.

The rest of the routes - connected and more specific subnets i.e. /25 were ok, only /24 caused the problems.

We have found two solutions to this problem:

1. We break the /24 in two /25 static pointing to the clients subnets reachable via these static routes

2. As we were using SVIs on the switches (6500) we have trunked the vlans (SVIs) outside NSSA area and re-terminated SVI with IP addresses on the device in the Backbone 0so end-to-end connectivity was passing over Layer 2 link and bypassing OSPF NSSA (of course as we were redistributing connected - SVIs too in this case - we were seeing them in the backbone).

Is there any specific reason why NSSA does not redistribute /24 static subnets outside to backbone 0 ?

Could it be a software bug ? If so, why /25 does work ?

Regards,

2 Replies 2

AJ Cruz
Level 3
Level 3

I think it should work. Maybe there's a forward address problem.

Can you give the output of a "sh ip ospf data nssa-ext " on the ASBR and a "sh ip ospf data ext " on a area 0 router?

This is already resolved.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card