Views
Helpful
Replies

Pick a right cisco switch and router for my two projects

riderfaiz
Level 1
Level 1

HI everyone, hope you can help.

I would like to ask… we will have a network project that migration our network from ISP to another ISP. WAN IPs would be change too. I would like to get help on setting up router (would need a new 10 GB router with at least 3 extra 1GB interfaces) . Which model Cisco router should I pick? For optional, what about if I like to run BGP default route, which model shoudl I pick?

For another, I would like to  get two layer2/3 10GB switches so that all the access port would be 10GB and hopefully it is stackable. I tried to use the switch to connect to our VM infrastructure such as hosts and Sans. Which model would you suggest?

Thank you very much for your help.

Takami Chiro

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would like to ask… we will have a network project that migration our network from ISP to another ISP. WAN IPs would be change too. I would like to get help on setting up router (would need a new 10 GB router with at least 3 extra 1GB interfaces) . Which model Cisco router should I pick? For optional, what about if I like to run BGP default route, which model shoudl I pick?

For another, I would like to  get two layer2/3 10GB switches so that all the access port would be 10GB and hopefully it is stackable. I tried to use the switch to connect to our VM infrastructure such as hosts and Sans. Which model would you suggest?

Takami Chiro

Hi Takami,

Adding to Leo comments, Majorly purchase of any new device is depends on Budget for any project.

For 10 Gb infrastructure switches Nexus 5k would be optimum with vPC configuration.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/nexus-5596t-switch/index.html

For WAN side if you only want to take default route , either you can use low end routers or N3K can also do the magic.

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Rate if it Helps..

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Which model Cisco router should I pick? For optional, what about if I like to run BGP default route, which model shoudl I pick?

What is the budget? 

What is the projected WAN speed in 5 years time?

Hi Leo, and GI,

Thank you very much for your response...I am on vacation so I did not have a chance to get to computer.

We woudl like to use the router for longer run... for sure we will need 1 x 10GB port and another 3x 1GB. Even with the expansion,we would just try to add more 1GB port to it... Optionally, as mentioned, we would like to run BGP default route... and we would like to have little more "ram" slot availablitiy to add more RAM if there are any perfromance issue.  We have a simple WAN...and we may have another redundant line but again that would be about 1GB speed.

As for the budget, the cost is always a concern but we will need to get what we need for... and hope you can help to suggest a right one.

Thank you very  much again for your help.

Takami chiro

ASR 1002-X with ESP 20.

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

For another, I would like to  get two layer2/3 10GB switches so that all the access port would be 10GB and hopefully it is stackable. I tried to use the switch to connect to our VM infrastructure such as hosts and Sans. Which model would you suggest?

Takami Chiro

Hi Takami,

Adding to Leo comments, Majorly purchase of any new device is depends on Budget for any project.

For 10 Gb infrastructure switches Nexus 5k would be optimum with vPC configuration.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/nexus-5596t-switch/index.html

For WAN side if you only want to take default route , either you can use low end routers or N3K can also do the magic.

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Rate if it Helps..

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card