cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping Across Vlan

Kyndall Taylor
Level 1
Level 1

Need some help please. I have several 2960X's daisy chained using the SFP ports. The SFP ports are set to trunk an show both VLANS active

Untitled.png

On each switch I have set a VLAN  1 Management IP .28, .29.30 and so forth

Untitled1.png

Any host that has an IP address of 172.18.3.x I can ping no matter what switch it is on.

I create a VLAN 2 on the FIRST switch with an IP of 10.16.8.1/24 using the commands

conf t

vlan 2

end

conf t

int vlan 2

ip address 10.16.8.1 255.255.255.0

no shut

end

I also create the same vlan config on every other switch

conf t

vlan 2

no shut

end

I assign various ports to VLAN 2 ->switchport access vlan2

I cannot ping every 10.16.8 address across the various switches VLAN 2.

I have tried an extended ping from the first switch EX. ping 10.16.8.55 source 10.16.8.1.. Some work some don't..

Another weirdness is that on one switch I can ping hosts on another switch but not on that switch itself.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your time

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

When you scan, you are most likely scanning the entire subnet (/24). So, whatever IP that does not have a connected host, will have the same mac address. This should not be an issue. Also, If you have multiple switches, only one switch should be doing the routing between vlans. The other ones should simply be layer-2 with one management IP and one SVI.

So, in summary, one switch is layer-2 and 3 (2 SVIs, one per vlan) and the other ones are layer-2 with one SVI for management only

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have multiple vlans and SVIs configured on the switch, try enabling "ip routing" on the switch that is doing the routing between vlans and test again.

HTH

That seemed to work for all but one switch, which I will dblcheck for configuration. Something else is showing up now in my port / ip scan. When I previously ran a port scan from a computer only selected IP's showed on the system related to that VLAN 2 with their respective MAC addresses. Now when I do a port scan they still show up, but every address that is not assigned a real IP also shows up with the same MAC address  from 1-254 gaps(I don't know what they are). Is that the IP routing and is that normal to show up in the scan like that?

Untitled3.png

When you scan, you are most likely scanning the entire subnet (/24). So, whatever IP that does not have a connected host, will have the same mac address. This should not be an issue. Also, If you have multiple switches, only one switch should be doing the routing between vlans. The other ones should simply be layer-2 with one management IP and one SVI.

So, in summary, one switch is layer-2 and 3 (2 SVIs, one per vlan) and the other ones are layer-2 with one SVI for management only

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card