cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

plan port designation on stacked switches

Infoman-nv
Level 1
Level 1

Is there an application that can assist in planning port assignment in a stacked switch configuration per device and vlan assigned to a system?

We have two different VMS camera systems, a Wi-Fi system, Access Control and other applications that need their devices connected to a stacked switch configuration. We would like to plan ahead and designate ports to each application for device connection and make sure that the switches can handle the PoE loads of the devices.

The stack uses Cisco Catalyst C9200-48P-E access switches.

Is there an application that can assist?

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I just use a calculator. 

"planning" is different until I go down to the nitty-gritty of IOS-XE, firmware version, and power draw requirement.  

Make sure to factor in rebooting the entire stack every 6 months or else there will be consequences.

What do you use when going into the Nitty Gritty of things? We have a stack configured to manage two VMS camera systems, One Wi-Fi network and an Access Control network amongst others. These have the most devices with PoE or PoE+ power requirements.

In regards to PoE, some IOS-XE firmware behaves "differently" than others. 

There will come a time when the switch has a very high uptime (more than 8 months) and the port will either stop passing traffic or stop delivering PoE.  

switch has a very high uptime (more than 8 months) and the port will either stop passing traffic or stop delivering PoE.  

interesting...is this a bug ?

@Martin L wrote:
interesting...is this a bug ?

This behaviour started as a bug and I now call it "a feature" because it keeps coming back.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card