cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Please help with these Catalyst switches...

jasonrider
Level 1
Level 1

We've just taken over IT management at a new location. They have two 2950 Catalyst switches. We haven't really worked all that much with Cisco switches, so we're having some problems figuring this one out.

In their computer lab, they didn't have enough network drops so they had some small 5-port switches in place. We started having issues where only one machine connected to the small switch could receive an IP. It was basically the first machine that was turned on, then the rest could not grab an IP.

We've tried resetting the Catalyst switches to factory settings. We've also tried different small switches. Each attempt was unsuccessful. We're still unable to use the small switches anywhere. Only one machine connected can grab an address.

Please help! We're stumped. Remember, we don't have much experience with Cisco equipment, so please keep that in mind.

5 Replies 5

jlkeys
Level 1
Level 1

I would verify you have reset the switch back to default. The easiest way to do that is to erase the startup-config.

The only instance I can think of that would cause this is if the two 2950 switches had port security enabled with a MAC address limit.

Well, I reset to factory default by accessing the switch via web interface, selecting Configuration, Restart/Reset, and slecting Reset to Factory Defaults. It went through it's process, and when it was finished, I had to go back in and reconfigure it... Does this seem right?

Somebody please help me with this. I've got to have it figured out very soon. We're starting to run out of time here...

Jason,

I think the recommendation to reset to defaults is a good one. Call me a Cisco snob but using the GUI is pretty much worthless on the Catalyst switches. You will be much better served by using a console connection and hyperterm to access the switch's CLI. One in privileged mode simple do a write erase. Once you do that reset the switch without saving the config.

This is a good start.

As for the unmanaged switches, from my experience they always cause problems. Very often the stated throughput capabilities are wrong and just as with managed switch ports set to auto/auto they can have duplex mismatch issues. Your mid to long term goal should be all managed switches, especially for servers.

hope this helps

I agree with cratejockey 100%. The web interface doesn't give you any real control and there's isn't a "for sure" way to verify the settings without using the console.

It can seem complex at first, but the managing the switch through the console is very straight forward once you get comfortable with the commands.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card