Views
Helpful
Replies

Port channel Setup

vinayak-nayak
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Is there a method to add an additional ten gig link to an in-production 10 gig link to form a port channel. 

The catch here is that the 10 gig in-production link is a routed port having a L3 ip and the other end too is routed port and both these have BGP peering sharing routes. I need to use the existing routed port ip address on either ends of the port-channel to be built, thus it will be L3 port channel consisting of the in-production and new 10 gig links. note : (I cannot change the entire config but only need to add a new dark fiber and make it a L3 port channel using the existing ip on the in production routed port). Diagram given below for reference. Is there a way to do it without having any downtime or impact ? Pls guide.

Inline image

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No, because you'll need to remove the IP address from the physical interface and then re-apply it to the Port-Channel interface.  That will cause the path to go down.

I would schedule in a time, shut down the BGP peer, form the port-channel with its layer 3 configuration (obviously on both ends) and then bring the BGP peer back up again.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No, because you'll need to remove the IP address from the physical interface and then re-apply it to the Port-Channel interface.  That will cause the path to go down.

I would schedule in a time, shut down the BGP peer, form the port-channel with its layer 3 configuration (obviously on both ends) and then bring the BGP peer back up again.

Thank you !

Hi, 

I missed mentioning a point here. There is only one single link between these two sites, therefore when i shut BGP then i would lose access to one site right ? The other site has a default route pointing to site A. 

Also i think i would need to shut the physical interfaces and then apply config and assign them under port-channel and bring them up. But this would need to be done on both sites simultaneously right ?

Would these steps be fine ?

> backup the config

> graceful shut of the bgp peer

> no ip address on both ports

> create port-channel

> assign both ports under it

> apply previous ip address on port-channel

> no shut the port-channel and observe it to come up

> unshut BGP peering and check bgp neighborship build

> check for internet and intranet access

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: