Views
Helpful
Replies

Port grouping for admin purposes

Abertay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are just moving from Huawei to Cisco and wondered if there is a way to group ports for admin purposes. 

For instance we did 'port-group cctv' and then added members on our Huawei switches and then you could run commands like turning PoE on and off across all the cameras. Also used to use the group for time profiles so we could reboot the switches overnight.

Very useful feature which i hope Cisco has.

thanks

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Cisco has port grouping (LAG) but does not relate those features which you describe to that ; of course you can turn POE on and off through other management solutions , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

No, i'm not looking to group for traffic purposes, only for configuration purposes. Its a great feature, we group all our WiFi, CCTV, BMS and they can all be configured at the same time.... or we did :<

- Can not be done native on the Cisco devices , you need network management products like Cisco Prime (getting obsolete) , or DNA center (=$$ ....)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I've got DNA centre, so will look into that side. SSH/CLI is my preferred method though..

use template 
and config interface range if that what you looking for. 
Thanks A Lot
MHM

@MHM Cisco World Out of curiosity, what template are you referring to ? And how would that template be configured ?

https://blogs.cisco.com/networking/cisco-dna-center-template-labs-dynamic-automation-part-8

he mention DNA? am I correct then he can try config template. 

Thanks A Lot
MHM

Hello,

as far as I recall, there was a command:

Switch(config)# define interface-range port_group_1 GigabitEethernet0/1 -2, GigabitEthernet0/5-6

The name 'port_group_1' in this example would be the name of the macro which you could then configure:

Switch(config)# interface range macro port_group_1

I think there are certain limitations, one of them being that you can only add 5 comma-separated ranges to each macro...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card