Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port mirroring

Greetings.

Is it possible to create a variety of topologies using port mirroring? Is port mirroring for monitoring use only?

If I want to communicate a PLC with other using only 2 ports on the same switch , Is port mirroring a plausible solution to make this?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

alexander,

If you just want the hosts on a group of ports to communicate among themselves, then you can just put the ports in the same VLAN. In your example, ports 1 and 2 could be VLAN 10, ports 3 and 4 VLAN 20, ports 5 and 6 VLAN 30 and ports 7 and 8 VLAN 40.

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon

Senior Technical Marketing Engineer

Enterprise Networking and Cloud Group

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Port mirroring is used to capture traffic on a specific port for troubleshooting purposes.

HTH

Thanks for the answer. But Is there a way to communicate excluviely 2 ports on the same switch? Like if i wanted to communicate only port 1 and port 4 exclusively and so on?. For example in a 8-port switch, i want to communicate port 1 and 2, port 3 and 4, port5 and 7, port 6 and 8?.

Thanks again for the answer.

alexander,

If you just want the hosts on a group of ports to communicate among themselves, then you can just put the ports in the same VLAN. In your example, ports 1 and 2 could be VLAN 10, ports 3 and 4 VLAN 20, ports 5 and 6 VLAN 30 and ports 7 and 8 VLAN 40.

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon

Senior Technical Marketing Engineer

Enterprise Networking and Cloud Group

Yes, say you want only port 1 and 4 to communicate with each other and not with other ports. Depending on the switch and the design you may need to deploy port ACL to block port 3, 5, 7, and 8 to communicate with port 1 and 4 if all ports are in the same VLAN/subnet.

if port 1 and 4 are in a different vlan and you want to do the same then you need a layer-3 ACL.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12-2SX/configuration/guide/book/vacl.html

HTH

Thanks for the answer, I am looking for a way to route ports to each other on the same switch and make sort of a ring topology between PLCs and ETAPs and also to vary the connection between ports in order to get other topologies like Bus Topology or adding more PLCs to the ring or bus. Is it possible?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card