Views
Helpful
Replies

Porting ADSL to another switch

jasonski2cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have 5 levels conected to my core via fibre port-chanels but are moving one floor to another building via a single dedicated 1gb SMF trunk link. Now thats all goos and working but have jjust had an residentail ADSL link in the main building connected to a home 5 port router for testing external links etc...

The new building (in which some of IT is moving) would like access to it for testing. any suggestions for porting a port accross to new building as we cant phsically connect the router and switch at the new building

Thanks       

4 Replies 4

daniel.dib
Level 7
Level 7

How is this link connected? Is it connected to the core? You could trunk that VLAN to the other building to give them access. It's not very clear what your topology and devices look like so please provide some clarification.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Please rate helpful posts.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Hi daniel,

Each floor (mix of 4500 and 3750 stacks) are connected to the core 4500 switch via MM fibre port-channels i.e po1, po2 etc and each floor has its own data vlan i.e lv1 data etc. now we have moved the old lv2 is in the new building but via 1 dedicated smf 1gb link (no port-channel, just a trunk port as the service wont allow channel groups) now this is all working fine and coms are good.

I have a home adsl router with residential line to the old building which runs exactly like a home adsl (which is what we use to plug a laptop into and test external coms etc) I was wondering if i can port one of the adsl router ports into my core switch (which the only physical connection to the other building is the 1gb smf) and be able to port that port to the new building so i can plug a laptop in and use the adsl service?

Hope that makes sense?

Cheers

Yes, that should be possible. Connect the LAN port to your core and put it in some VLAN of your choice. Then build that VLAN across the trunk to the other building. Connect devices there to access ports in that VLAN and you should have connectivity.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

How wouls you suggest creating that vlan? my normal data vlans are set out like this

interface Vlan123

description blah_data

ip address 10.*.*.1 255.255.255.0

ip helper-address My DC IP

no ip redirects

The ADSL router has a standard 192.168 address for internal.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card