cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Possible loop?

CODIT
Level 1
Level 1

I have (2) 2960XR's (Switch B) connected with a stacking module.  They have port channels to (2) other 9500's (Switch A) in L3/L2 and another port channel to another (2) 2960XR's (Switch C) used as a access layer switch.  One of the stacking modules in Switch B failed and both switches assumed the master role.  Traffic through switch B was intermittent from switch A and C.  It seems there was a loop, but I'm not sure how I can prevent this.  We have spanning tree configured with loop guard.

Capture.PNG

2 Replies 2

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I have had the same situation two months ago.

I think that you have two possibility.
1. On the LAG, verify if the cables are plugged only one switch in stack.
2. Separe them from stack and run through mstp.
Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the stacking module failed then both switches in B are operating independently. And it certainly could create a loop. If we think about the individual members of B as B1 and B2 then think about this: A frame is received in B1 in vlan 2. It goes through the Etherchannel from B1 through switch A and is delivered to B2 and then is forwarded through the Etherchannel through switch C and delivered to B1 which detects the loop. As far as prevention is concerned I believe that your options are either to prevent the module failure/repair the module or to change the Etherchanels through A and C.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card