cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Possible of having two default gateway in my cisco 2960x switch.

LC O
Level 1
Level 1

I'm wondering if someone can tell me if its possible to have 2 default gateway in one core switch. Here's what im trying to accomplish. I have 1 ASA with 2 ports connected to a different ISP. From the ASA side i went and configure policy based routing.  Any traffic coming from ip address 172.16.1.0/24 to 172.16.10.0/24 will be routed to the first isp1 and ip address 172.16.101.0 to 172.16.110.0/24 will be routed to isp2.

In my Core switch which is Catalyst 2960X-48FPD-L i configured SVI routing. Having said that i configured static routes to gateway in asa. The routes that i have in my configuration is ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.255.255.2 and 172.16.101.0 0.0.0.255 10.255.250.2. The default gateway is 10.255.255.2. It seems that when i do this my internet connection slows down. Can you help me with this?

3 Replies 3

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

What asa model are you using and what does your topology look like? What is the cpu utilisation before enabling policy based routing and what is the cpu utilisation after enabling policy based routing?

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Hi John,

Im using Cisco ASA 5512x. I just configured the PBR at the moment i have not enabled the policy yet so i can't tell. I stumble upon on cisco site about turning your core switch from default template to routing by doing sdm prefer routing to used routing mode. From my understanding after i do that i can used route-map as well in the core switch. Im just thinking if that is an overkill in my network to have route maps in ASA and core switch. Im not sure if that is relevant to what i want to do. Here is my topology screenshot. I can also upload the config files if needed to help me in this question. Thanks in advance.

I suggest send all the traffic to ASA as default gatway, Let ASA can handle NAT and PBR based on the requirement.

We are not sure what kind of bandwidth we are considering here. if it is less than 1GB, 5512-X good to handle this kind of traffic and NAT and PBR.

Do one step at time and test, rahter doing multiple changes at time.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card