cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Power calculator interpretation & discrepancies

eddie.boyce
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to establish the heat generated by 9300 switches to inform room cooling loads.

Running a scenario through the power calculator (9300UB with 24 x connected PoE @ 15.4W) throws out a headline figure of 1317BTU. I'm not sure if this is the heat output just at the switch, or the total heat output including what's dissipated and the end points.

This figure is made up of switch Heat Dissipation of 1002BTU/Hr plus 315BTU/Hr for PoE devices.

It is not clear is why the 1002BTU/Hr is based on a switch power consumption of 235W. If all of that 235W was converted to heat, you would expect the BTU/Hr to be maximum 801 (how can the heat load be higher than the power input?). It's the same case for the Typical switch power @135W, with heat dissipation at 575BTU/Hr and not the expected maximum 460.

The results also state that the majority of power for PoE is dissipated at the end points and lists the scenario PoE power as 369W, with heat dissipation of 315BTU/Hr (equivalent to 92W). 

What's not clear from this is whether this is the whole heat dissipation, or the heat dissipation at the switch. I suspect the latter, but it's not absolutely clear.

Sorry if that's overly complicated.

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card