cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Power up Catalyst 9606 SUP2 module in a slot besides 3 or 4

jmarra
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone tried to power up a SUP2 module in a slot other than 3 or 4, and what happens if you do?   I have a Catalyst 9606 with redundant SUP2 modules.  The HA Sup2 in slot 4 failed 2 weeks back.  I have tried reseating it a number of times and I get nothing; no log entries, no LED lights on board, no output on serial console, just nothing.  Now TAC want me to reboot the whole 9606 and swap engines 3 and 4, but frankly, I cannot afford the downtime and debug time on this particular router.  That's the reason I have redundant engines.  So, by trying the non functional SUP2 in slots 1, 2, 5, or 6, I'm just trying to determine if it will power up at all, and whether the issue is with slot 4, or the board itself.

2 Replies 2

pieterh
VIP
VIP

it will probably power-up, but it will not be functional

the SUP requires backplane  signals that are only connected to the module when placed in slot 3 and 4
e.g. the communication between the sup's

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@jmarra wrote:
Has anyone tried to power up a SUP2 module in a slot other than 3 or 4, and what happens if you do?

I seriously doubt a Supervisor card can slide into the other slots.  The back pins will not be aligned. 

And if the pins do align, the supervisor cards will power down.

@jmarra wrote:
Now TAC want me to reboot the whole 9606 and swap engines 3 and 4, but frankly, I cannot afford the downtime and debug time on this particular router.  

YOU are the customer.  

Stop the troubleshooting and tell TAC to RMA the line card.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card