Views
Helpful
Replies

Proper ESX NIC Load Balancing with Nexus VPC

s-pirrello
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've recently deployed a pair of Nexus 3064s in a VPC for core routing/switching.  Since I've deployed these switches, we've experienced intermittent packet loss on our ESX devices.  I suspect some kind of oddity on the ESX servers but I'm curious to know what is the correct configuration for the ESX hosts from a Load Balancing perspective? 

Should our server team have them configured in Redundancy mode a.k.a Active/Passive links or should they configure as port-channel on their servers? 

To drawn this picture out, the ESX servers are attached to a single 4948 within a rack but have multiple links on this switch.  The 4948 is multihomed to the 3064s via a single port-channel with VPC enabled.

Thank and I apprecate your help.

1 Reply 1

Fabienne Stephanoff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Redundancy mode vs port-channel is really dependent upon what the hosts support but in general port-channels provide you with additional bandwidth. I believe with ESX you may need to use mode on.

In regards to the intermittent packet loss, I would start with the basic: sho int count, check spanning tree, cpu, log, qos etc. Might have to do sniffer traces. Intermittent issues are the toughest ones to troubleshoot.

Fabienne

TAC

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card