Views
Helpful
Replies

Proper hard reboot of a switch stack

briansciarra
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have a stack of 4 3850's

I cannot ssh or console into the stack.  (Someone broke ssh and console log messages are preventing me from using the console)

The only thing we can do is reboot the stack manually

Is there a right way to do this?

Like power down the stack members first and the stack master last, and then power up the stack master first and the stack members successively after that?

6 Replies 6

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you console on and issue:

terminal no monitor

You should be able to power off the stack members quite lesuiely. Likewise with powering on. They will all sit in the stack election phase together for a shot period, once every members stack ports come up it will quickly elect the master, unless you have already configured the priority values.

cheers,

Seb.

I can't do ANYTHING in console, nothing but logs.  No break sequence works either, I thought the session would timeout after a while but I tried again at end of day, as soon as I open putty logs start flowing immediately, very frustrating

Although putty will be spewing logs out, you can still type commands in, although it will be hard to see what.

When issuing commands have them typed out in notepad and paste them in.

Try logging in, enter exec and type:

!

conf t

line vty 0 4

logging synchronous

exit

exit

!

That should allow you to see what you are typing...briefly!

Then try the following from exec:

!

terminal no monitor

!

...that should stop the logs being output.

Failing that:

!

conf t

no logging console

no logging monitor

exit

!

...It may take a while for the log messages to finish being dispayed on screen, but eventually you will be presented with a prompt .

cheers,

Seb.

I'll try it on Monday thanks

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

During power down. it doesn't make any different which one go down first.  Once all are down bring up the master first and than the members. If you priority assign to each member bring up the members with higher priority first.

HTH

So master first, members second, thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card