cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Proper procedures for removal of a failed StackWise stack member

not-the-network
Level 1
Level 1

I need to replace a failed Catalyst 3850 stack member and after reviewing this documentation https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/37e/consolidated_guide/b_37e_consolidated_3850_cg/b_37e_consolidated_3850_cg_chapter_01001110.html, I have multiple questions.

Just to summarize, the failed stack member is going to be replaced with an identical model 3850.  I won't know the IOS version until I receive it, but the other members are currently running 03.07.05E 

I don't need to make any changes to the Active and Standby Stack.  The priorities on those switches are already configured so I am not concerned about any re-election process.  I won't be renumbering any member switches.

I also don't want to reboot the stack.  The failed switch will not be re-used and is going to be sent back for an RMA.  This is just simple "one-for-one" swap.

If I am missing some steps, let me know.

The procedure as I understand it is as follows:

1. Power on replacement switch
    1. Power cable should be independent of anything powering the stack.  
    2. Only a console cable should be connected to the replacement switch
    3. Make sure it passes POST.
    4. Do I need to go thru Express Setup? https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/hardware/quick/guide/cat3850_gsg.html#55226
    5. Is Express Setup needed before I can run any show commands such as "show switch" or "show version"?
    6. Priority should be "1" and "install mode" is the default, correct?  
    7. For offline configuration, on the replacement switch, do I need to run "(config)# switch 1 provision WS-3850-XXXXXX" if the model that I am replacing is the same and the priority number will be the same?  Am I confused and this command needs to be run on the Active switch and not the replacement switch?
    8. Is anything else needed on the replacement switch before it's powered off such as "copy running-config startup-config"?
  2. Power off replacement switch
  3. Remove failed switch
    1. Power off the failed switch by removing AC power cord(s) and StackPower cables
    2. Remove StackWise cables 
    3. From the Active switch, do I need to run "(config)# no switch 1 provision WS-3850-XXXXXX"?  What does this command do?  Would this be needed if I am going to install a replacement switch where I expect it to be exactly the same as the failed switch? 
    4. Once the failed switch is completely removed, do I run "(config)# switch 1 provision WS-3850-XXXXXX" from the Active switch?
  4. Install replacement switch
    1. Rack the new replacement switch without any power cables attached
    2. Install StackWise cables first
    3. Install StackPower cables second
    4. Once powered on, if the IOS version is not the same as the rest of the stack, this should trigger auto-advise since auto upgrade is disabled.  On the Active switch run "software auto-upgrade enable"  Will this command work for upgrading or downgrading the IOS version?  Once completed, do I need to run "no software auto-upgrade enable?"
    5. Do I need to run "copy running-config startup-config" after this?
    6. The configuration should transfer from the stack to the replacement switch, correct?  I don't need to manually copy the running-config from the Active switch?
  5. Verification
    1. Various verification commands can be run such as "show switch"  "show switch detail"  "show switch stack-ports" "show switch stack-ring speed"
1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
  1. Power down the offending switch. 
  2. Remove the power stack cable. 
  3. Remove the stacking cable.  
  4. Remove the offending switch. 
  5. Install the replacement switch. 
  6. Install the power stacking cable. 
  7. Install the power supplies and energize. 
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card