Views
Helpful
Replies

PXE boot issue from different subnet

austinmbailey1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am having a PXE booting issue. My network is divided into three different subnets. The 192.168.1.0, 2.0, and 3.0. The 1.0 is a server subnet. The 2.0 and 3.0 are user subnets. The issue I am having is I cannot PXE boot from a different subnet other than the 1.0 where my PXE/DHCP server lives. If I try to image a PC from the 1.0, it works fine. DHCP is handing out leases to all the subnets correctly, but it will not respond to PXE requests. I am getting the following error when I try to image a machine from the 2.0 or 3.0.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel(R) Boot Agent GE v1.5.53

Copyright (C) 1997-2014, Intel Corporation

CLIENT MAC ADDR: 20 C6 EB 6A 51 C2 GUID: C7229ECA 55FA 5755 BA28E92D106A0B53

CLIENTIP: 172.25.2.2 MASK: 255.255.255.0   DHCP IP: 172.25.1.20

PXE-E55: ProxyDHCP service did not reply to request on port 4011

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot device Agent.

Reboot and Select proper Boot device

or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key

At first I thought it was an IP helper address, but I am reluctant to say that because it is handing out DHCP leases. The DHCP/PXE server is Windows 2008R2.

If anyone has any advice I would very much appreciate it. Thank you!

1 Reply 1

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do you have "ip forwarding-protocol udp xxxx" enabled? Please show the configuration of the interfaces.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card