Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS - (Classification Question)

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

Hey Guys,

This is going to sound like such a stupid question. If I have a L2 switch, can I configure an access list based off of an ACL, such as

ip access-list extended QoSExample

permit tcp 10.0.0.0 0.0.0.255 any eq 80

And police based upon that, and or mark traffic at the port level?

Would the switch be able to classify the traffic, if it comes into the port as a frame and not a packet. (Granted it would be encapsulated)                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It depends on the switch.  Pure L2 switches normally can't examine any L3 info.  L2+, smart or enhanced L2 switches often can.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It depends on the switch.  Pure L2 switches normally can't examine any L3 info.  L2+, smart or enhanced L2 switches often can.

Thanks for the help Joseph. I figured that was the case, I was just double-checking.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: