Views
Helpful
Replies

Qos Configs on Port channel interface ?

usmansa1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am running Cisco Everest in one of my catalyst switch,one of the port channel interface itself does not have qos configurations at all but all the associated physical interfaces have Qos configurations. I want to ask a simple question, does the qos configurations will have impact on packet while traversing through the switch through port channel interfaces. As per document below the configurations has to be on the port channel interface. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/qos_mqc/configuration/xe-16-6/qos-mqc-xe-16-6-book/aggregate-etherchannel-quality-of-service.html#reference_9763C678D20949F0BACA0971577AA42F 

4 Replies 4

ngkin2010
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

The document is not dedicated for Catalyst series switch. In fact, QoS policy cannot be attached to any EtherChannel interface.

On the other hand, you could apply it on EtherChannel's member interfaces. It will work, and you can verify by 'show policy-map interface <interface-id>'.

Please take a note from Cisco's documentation about the restrictions of QoS on EtherChannel:

The following are restrictions and considerations for applying QoS features on EtherChannel and channel member interfaces:

• QoS is not supported on an EtherChannel interface.

• QoS is supported on EtherChannel member interfaces in both ingress and egression directions. All EtherChannel members must have the same QoS policy applied. If the QoS policy is not the same, each individual policy on the different link acts independently.

• On attaching a service policy to channel members, the following warning message appears to remind the user to make sure the same policy is attached to all ports in the EtherChannel: ' Warning: add service policy will cause inconsistency with port xxx in ether channel xxx. '.

• Auto QoS is not supported on EtherChannel members.

Note

On attaching a service policy to an EtherChannel, the following message appears on the console: ' Warning: add service policy will cause inconsistency with port xxx in ether channel xxx. '. This warning message should be expected. This warning message is a reminder to attach the same policy to other ports in the same EtherChannel. The same message will be seen during boot up. This message does not mean there is a discrepancy between the EtherChannel member ports.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9200/software/release/16-10/configuration_guide/qos/b_1610_qos_9200_cg/configuring_qos.html

usmansa1
Level 1
Level 1

I have auto-qos implemented on the ether-channel member physical interface, the command is there but it means that the command will not do anything. 

Hi,

Although it's unsupported officially, you may still try to apply the auto-qos on Etherchannel's member. According to my experience, it will work. But it can't tell if someday the auto-qos will break your Etherchannel in your production network.

usmansa1
Level 1
Level 1

I think you are wrong if it is suppose to do nothing then why in this post they are recommending to run the command https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/configuring-qos-trust-on-port-channel/td-p/3782414

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: